Thyroid disease occurs when the thyroid (a small, butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck) does not produce the right amount of thyroid hormone. thyroid hormone controls many activities in your body, including how fast you burn calories and how fast your heart beats. Diseases of the thyroid cause it to make either too much or too little of the hormone..
The two main types of thyroid disease are hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.
- Symptoms of an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) can include:
- Experiencing anxiety, irritability and nervousness
- Having trouble sleeping
- Losing weight.
- Having an enlarged thyroid gland or a goiter.
- Having muscle weakness and tremors.
- Experiencing irregular menstrual periods or having your menstrual cycle stop.
- Feeling sensitive to heat.
- Having vision problems or eye irritation.
- Symptoms of an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) can include:
- Feeling tired (fatigue).
- Gaining weight.
- Experiencing forgetfulness.
- Having frequent and heavy menstrual periods.
- Having dry and coarse hair.
- Having a hoarse voice.
the best foods for the thyroid:
one of the best foods for the thyroid gland. Dairy products, mainly yoghurt, are very nutritious and help to fulfil the iodine requirements of the body. Iodine is needed for the optimal working of the thyroid gland.
- Fruits: Apples, Pears and Citrus
Apples, pears, plums and citrus fruits are abundant with pectins, which help with detoxifying the body of mercury – one of the most critical metals that have been connected to thyroid problems.
- Nuts and Seeds
Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and nuts are rich sources of zinc. Low levels of Zinc have been associated with thyroid problems. Add to the salads or munch on these as snacks to replenish your body with zinc.
- Legumes and Beans
Beans and legumes are rich, not just in Zinc but fibre as well. These help to regulate the digestive system, especially the bowel movement and prevent constipation. Chickpeas are one of the healthiest options for thyroid problems.
- Green Tea
Green tea is known all over the world as a sure shot metabolism booster.
Foods that are bad for the thyroid gland include foods from the cabbage family, soya, fried foods, wheat, foods high in caffeine, sugar, fluoride.
- Home Remedies
1.Trikatu(saunth, kali mirch, long pepper)
- Coriander soaked in water overnight
Why you need to consult to a doctor?