Ayurvedic Detox Bowl Vegetable Khichdi (An Indian Detox Meal)
Type of Food
Type of Food
A simple healing recipe gives energy and stamina all day long. For this recipe you need
1. Soaked moong beans( moong dal) 2. Brown rice 3. Vegetables 4. Soothing turmeric 5. Flavorful Indian spices.
Soaking moong beans in water overnight will double their size, cut their cooking time, and increase their digestibility.
½ cup diced onion
1 ½ tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp coriander
1/2 tsp curry powder, more to taste
1 small dried red chili pepper, crumbled(or half for less spicy)
¾ tsp salt
¼ cup split mung beans, split lentils (or whole mung beans or whole lentils- soaked overnight)
½ cup soaked, brown basmati rice
1 ½ cup water
2 cups chopped vegetables ( like carrot, celery, a fennel bulb, cauliflower, broccoli)
2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
squeeze lemon or lime
1 diced tomato
1. In a medium pot, saute onion in oil over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium add ginger and garlic, and saute a few minutes, until golden and fragrant.
2. Add spices, pepper, salt, and toast for a few more minutes. Add soaked mung beans and soaked brown rice. Add water and 2 cups chopped veggies bring to a good boil. Turn heat to low, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Check for doneness.
3. Continue cooking for 5 to 10 more minutes if necessary. Some rice takes longer, and if you do not pre-soak your whole mung beans or brown rice, you will need to add more water, which will change the recipe proportions and flavor…so try to soak if possible.
4. Once it is done, taste and adjust salt and seasonings. Top with fresh diced tomato and fresh parsley and a pinch of salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lemon or lime.